Fresh, Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Basil, fresh
- Marjoram, fresh
- Oregano, fresh
- Rosemary, fresh
- Thyme, fresh
- Gather the above fresh (harvested within 24 hours or less) herbs from your garden or a farm/garden in your local area. (*Use biodynamic, genetic modification–free, naturally grown, organic, pesticide–free herbs.)
- Place the herbs in the bottom of an organic cotton or industrial hemp bag, if you have one. If not, then place them in another type of cloth bag. (Be sure to keep the bag out of direct sunlight and keep moisture out of the bag.)
- Allow the herbs to thoroughly dry, which is approximately 3+ days depending on your preferences, environmental conditions, etc.
- Remove the herbs from the bag and place them, as a mixture, in a spice jar.
- Use your homemade Italian Seasoning instead of store–bought Italian Seasoning in your favorite recipes.
- Be sure to use them within 6 months.*
*Visit https://www.ecoccs.com to find out more information about those terms and farm/garden harvesting tips.
*This additional comment to the recipe was inspired by the following article: “How To Dry Fresh Herbs” By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide