Cloth Bag Ripened Green Tomatoes
- Green tomatoes, fresh
- Gather various varieties of fresh, unripened, green tomatoes (harvested within 24 hours or less) from your garden or a farm/garden in your local area. (*Use biodynamic, genetic modification–free, naturally grown, organic, pesticide–free tomatoes.)
- Place the green tomatoes in the bottom of an organic cotton or industrial hemp bag, if you have one. If not, then place them in another type of cloth bag. (Be sure to keep the bag out of direct sunlight and keep moisture out of the bag.)
- Allow the green tomatoes to ripen (ripe tomatoes may be purplish, reddish, shades of orange, black, etc. depending on the tomato variety). Check on the tomatoes daily to determine the desired ripeness and tenderness.
- Remove the ripe tomatoes from the bag.
- Use the tomatoes in your favorite recipes.
*Visit https://www.ecoccs.com to find out more information about those terms and farm/garden harvesting tips.
*This additional comment to the recipe was inspired by the following article: “How To Dry Fresh Herbs” By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide